Thursday, September 1, 2016

Brad Blanchette's Opening Volley

Several years ago, I retired from teaching English at Colchester High School. I taught for over thirty years, most of which were in the same room. You can imagine that leaving students was difficult, especially when I could barely remember who I was before I became a teacher.

How do I spend my time now? Well, for six months I live with my partner, Tim, on the Lake in North Hero, and the other six, in Hinesburg. I travel hardly at all. I read somewhat obsessively. I love my dog, Tadpole, more than I should. (So would you; just look at him!)

I will admit that I have never quite shaken the feeling that something is a little missing in my life since I stopped working with young people. To that end, I look forward to my role on the WtS team and to meeting students who have something to say about the world and how to make it better.

Why would my best summer memory be the time I fell asleep in my zero gravity chair while fifteen or so of my neighbors in North Hero were next to me practicing yoga? Instead of feeling ashamed of myself as I awoke around the same time they were emerging from their bliss state, I felt proud of myself. This can't reveal anything good about me, but there you have it.




No comments:

Post a Comment